Saturday, April 17, 2010



Amsterdam November 2009


It was a trip to remember, it was a trip I will relive again. The anticipation, the excitement and the pure glee engulfing the three travellers. Three happy faces packed with bags like they were planning to have a camp out in a candy store. I look out the window, I can see it. The plane with the baby blue "KLM" written on its side sitting in a sea of Air Canada planes, thats it, that has to be the one. They board the plane, ears pop, 10 minutes of "Bruno" (terrible...) followed by seven hours of clouds after clouds, after clouds...oh I wonder what's out the window? Oh right... Clouds... BUT... What is that?, a piercing, a spark of light, life, civilization, lions and tigers and bears oh my! The sudden view of beautiful green Dutch farms, perfect massive rectangles divided by small streams of water. The plane dips, still with 3 faces pressed against the window and before you know it, here we are. But this time, we're surrounded by giant airplanes with the baby blue "KLM" printed on its sides as opposed to the familiar red maple leaf. Next thing I knew, I was walking through the airport finding myself staring at every sign that has some sort of Dutch writen on it. All the stores look so Ikea-ish... Even though I was not able to sleep for 36 hours, I could not contain my excitement. We are here, we are home, I can sense it, I can smell it. I walked out the front entrance, turned back and saw a gigantic sign that read "Schipol Airport". Fantastic, first piece of good news of the morning, I didn't board the wrong plane! It was a cloudy, rainy day in Amsterdam, but I knew that it mattered not...


No comments:

Post a Comment